Chinese Sticky rice, this is one of my favorites dish. It is also called "You Bui" in Hokkien. When I’m a kid, my mum always made a gigantic pot of sticky rice in a rice cooker. I remembered always eating bowl after bowl because it is really tasty. This dish has both a sentimental and comfort value to it that always reminds me of my mum.
And, it is really easy to make the yummy Chinese sticky rice with this recipe. Hope you guys like it!
Chinese Sticky Rice (油饭/糯米饭)
2 cups glutinous rice
½ cup dried shrimp, soaked for 20 mins
5-7 dried black mushrooms, sliced & soaked for 20 mins
½ cup of dried cuttlefish slice, soaked for 20 mins
1 cup of shallots, sliced
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp 5-spice powder
White pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1. Soak mushrooms, dried shrimp and dried cuttlefish slice, drain, set aside. (Keep a cup of the water from soaked mushrooms.)
2. Wash and cook the glutinous rice in a rice cooker (timing same likes cooking white rice). Refer Tips 1
3. In a wok or saute pan, heat up oil to medium-high heat, fry sliced shallots until they are lightly browned, drain and keep the oil in the wok. Set aside.
4. In the same wok, fry the dried shrimp, dried cuttlefish slice until fragrant, drain. Set aside.
5. Then, cook the mushrooms until fragrant and transfer the fried shallots, dried shrimp and cuttlefish slices into the wok.
6. Add in the seasoning and the 1 cup of water (from soaked mushrooms) to make the sauce.
7. Once the glutinous rice cooked, pour the sauce into it and mix well. Done~! Serve hot!
1. The perfect water proportion to cook the glutinous rice with rice cooker is 1 cup of glutinous rice = 0.6 cup of water. (The glutinous rice no need to soak with water, save time!) The rice should be cooked through, soft, but still be slightly chewy when done.
2. Garnish with scallion greens and fried shallots, add more pepper, or salt to taste.